Kartones Blog

Be the change you wanna see in this world

Course Review: Apache Kafka Series - Kafka Connect Hands-on Learning (Udemy)

Continuing with my basic learning of Apache Kafka, and after the introductory course, I've recently finished also the second course in the series, Kafka Connect Hands-on Learning. Where the first one introduced the basics of producers, consumers, workers, topics, etc., here we learn about Source Connectors (inputs), Sink Connectors (outputs), what is a Kafka Connect Cluster, how to write your own connectors and how to deploy them.

The course has practical examples: Reading real-time Tweets into Kafka topics using a source connector, transform data from Kafka into Elasticsearch via a sink connector, and writing a connector that hooks into GitHub. Oh, and how to use the REST API to manage the connectors and their configurations.

Short one (4 hours, which easily you can follow at 1.25x speed) but well explained, with clear diagrams and interesting examples.

Course Review: Master 320 Common English Phrases (Udemy)

Master 320 Common English Phrases teaches some useful sentences for 16 scenarios: on phone calls, shopping, scheduling a meeting, etc. It does so providing videos with the sentences, then audios with full dialogs using those sentences, and then with some gap-filling exercises for you to print and complete.

While the speaker is too slow in the speaking, taking too long breaks between repeating the sentences, other than that it is a short but very practical course.

Course Review: Apache Kafka Series - Learn Apache Kafka for Beginners (Udemy)

Doing some research for a work-related task, I needed to learn the basics of Kafka, so I tried a visual approach instead of just reading some tutorials or a book (which takes more than a few hours). Learn Apache Kafka for Beginners is an introductory course that lasts between 3 and 4 hours, depending on if you use Java, Scala, Akka or similar or not, as you will skip the corresponding videos demoing basic consumer-producer examples.

You will learn the basics of Kafka: How it works, producers, consumers, topics, partitions, offsets, segments, basic setup and configuration (including a handy Docker small cluster for local development), and some tips and advices regarding how to properly configure everything. Considering that it also has coding demos, while a small course the content is fine and very well summarized and presented.

There are other more advanced courses (which I'll probably take), regarding Streams, Connectors and other non-trivial areas.

An insightful introduction, recommended.

Course Review: Master 120 common phrasal verbs (Udemy)

More english study "results", another course done at Udemy, this time "Master 120 common phrasal verbs".

As the course title suggests, you get to learn 120 common phrasal verbs, not more, not less. How to use them in conversations, how they're written, and some exercises.

I liked about the course that you get to see the typical way you'd thought the sentence is written, then it gets corrected to the phrasal verb version. Some were common but others I didn't knew about them so I'm glad I did this (short) course.

Course Review: Adam Grant on Developing Original Ideas (Udemy)

I did this Udemy course as a suggestion from a work mailing list, as I didn't knew who was Adam Grant before, nor I had any urgency on trying to have better ideas... but was a short one so... why not?

This time I'll leave the contents description to the course webpage, instead just leaving the notes I took while watching it. It was interesting because it breaks some very common legends and misconceptions regarding entrepreneurs, CEOs and the like.

  • originality = creativity + change
  • originality it is not something you're born with
  • question the default
  • volume and variety of ideas, not only eureka moments
  • break your frame and try to learn other domains
  • working in different things
  • idea selection is hard
  • can't judge your own ideas (too positive, biased). managers neither (too negative, rely too much on intuition). peers are the best judges. seek feedback from peers often.
  • past success doesn't guarantees future success
  • openly explain downsides of your ideas
  • frame ideas to known/familiar concepts
  • fit the job to the person

Previous entries