Now that I'm having quite a lot of development (and fighting with the OS) under Vista, here you are some quick tips that will help you a lot to develop efficiently with Visual Studio 2005.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE, right-click on devenv.exe, Properties, Compatibility tab and check "Run this program as administrator". (This one is basic to avoid errors).
- If some program doesn't works, doesn't saves your configuration or behaves strange, try running it as administrator. It might be trying to modify some registry setting and UAC denies access to it.
- ipconfig /flushdns and other shell commands dont work? Based on the previous tip, remember that you can right-click the Command-Prompt and run it as administrator too.
- Double-click on .sln files doesn't open VS2005? No problem: Right-click, Open With and navigate to devenv.exe. Working again!
- Installed XNA Game Studio Express, a starter kit or some other project/solution templates but they don't appear on the new project/solution dialog window? open a VS2005 command prompt (as administrator), type "devenv.exe /setup" and wait few seconds. All templates should be visible now ;)
- Remember: .NET Impersonation no longer works under UAC. You either need to launch the program with elevated privileges (you can create a manifest file), or use ShellExecute to launch a new privileged process. Running programs.
Soon more "complex" posts, I'm having a lot of work so now almost everything is work-related... but I'm going to give a good boost to game development ;)